Monday, January 31, 2011

Doctor Who - NTA Sketch

Written by Steven Moffat
Directed by Richard Senior

Dermot O�Leary: �I�ve missed the National Television Awards. I�m an idiot.�
The Doctor: �Can I help?�

Can you go back to last Wednesday and stop Waterloo Road from scooping best drama because that would be a tonic and a bit? Um, bitterness aside, this proved to be one sketch too many.

Maybe it�s because most of the TV personalities who contributed to it are ones that annoy me or maybe it�s because I don�t ever want to think of Amanda Holden being Prime Minister or Becky MacDonald being the Doctor�s future wife. Either way, this three and a half minute sketch struck a bum note.

Dermot O�Leary � nice bloke but sort of bland and not really all that great an NTA host. Similarly wasn�t that great in this either, I�m afraid. As for Matt Smith, I was kind of embarrassed for him with this one. Even if this had been a Children In Need sketch, it still wouldn�t have worked so well.

On the plus side, it doesn�t last that long, still is nowhere near as bad as Dimensions In Time and we did get to see a new outfit for the 11th Doctor but aside from that, it just didn�t gel all that much.

- There were mentions of canaries in mine shafts before Dermot had to meet Bruce Forsyth.
- Is it wise to have a top rated BBC show slag off the BBC itself?
- Dermot O�Leary, okay he did look nice in that tuxedo but I still didn�t find him that great an NTA host.
- Shame about Matt Smith losing out to David Jason but at least he had worthy competition in one of his categories.

A bit overblown but I think some people will have enjoyed this one more than me. I expect a better sketch/missing scene for Children In Need or Comic Relief this year though.

Rating: 5 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment