Sunday, February 14, 2010

Ten Most Nutritious Foods

When my husband was a freshman in medical school, they had a class that was sort of a 'grand rounds'--a guest speaker every week in alternative medicine, cultural awareness, medical research, and even finance.

One day he came home, very excited. "We had some nutrition researchers today in survey class," he told me. "They told us what the Ten Most Nutritious Foods are. You won't be surprised that broccoli's top of the list."

"No kidding," I said. "I guess it's good we eat a lot of it."

"It is," he informed me. "The Brassica family. Lots of vitamin A and C, the fiber, all that. It's like the nearly perfect food."

"Wow."

"Yeah, you won't believe what the second one is. I couldn't believe it myself." He waited until I asked.

"Beer," he said. "The research shows that the grain is good, especially in liquid form. And it exercises a benefit to the parasympathetic nervous system."

"No way," I marveled. "I would never have guessed it."

He laughed, and he laughed . . . . he laughed some more . . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment