Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Pop Blitz 8/4/10

Robyn - Hang With Me She's two for two this year, following up the instant classic Dancing On My Own with a song nearly as strong. The beat's similar, but it's the sticky melody that keeps you coming back. A

The Wanted - All Time Low
I've never been much of a fan of boybands. They're so inherently cheesy. But this is as close to a Kings Of Leon style anthem that boybandpop gets. Adding a bit of a club beat throughout was a great touch. A deserved UK #1. B+

Ne-Yo - Beautiful Monster
If Closer was a step in the right direction, this is an example of Ne-Yo's fully realized club sound. He pulls a total Jacko in the video, and I appreciate the new sound, but something about his vocals has always left me a little cold. B-

Linkin Park - The Catalyst
In which Linkin Park extend their fame yet again by trying something totally new. This odd breakbeat/protest/anthem/experimental-rock/dance hybrid is unlike anything else on the radio right now. I'm not sure what I think about it, exactly, but it's more interesting than anything the band have done thus far. B+

Flo Rida - Club Can't Handle Me (ft. David Guetta)
I am so tired of this David Guetta sound. Flo-Rida aims for an I Got A Feeling and gets something with the same drive but no feeling behind it. A hit by default, but it'll be forgotten next year. C-

Katy Perry - Teenage Dream
Like the first album, she's followed up a ridiculously catchy novelty hit with an equally catchy pop track. And also like the last album, it's a one-two punch. A perfect example of breezy, modern radio pop. A

Eliza Doolittle - Pack Up
This should be subpar Lily Allen, yet it completely works. It's all about the sample, which is the perfect hook for the summer. I don't think I'd like to hear anymore from Doolittle, but this is a great little novelty pop song. A-

Wow, this may have just been my highest rated Blitz yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment