Sunday, January 17, 2010

Fighting Words for Any Protest

On Dr. King's day, I'll offer four quotes from Frederick Douglass, escaped slave, shipbuilding worker, writer, publisher, suffragist, and abolitionist. The last two are in my permanent notebook, and I was going to share them eventually. Why not today?

I can assure you, that whatever you feel politically revolutionary about, from the First Amendment to the Second Amendment,  the Thirteenth, Fifteenth, Nineteenth, or the Twenty-Fourth, Mr. Douglass is the man to heat up your fighting sentiments and stiffen your resolve.
I prayed for twenty years, but received no answer until I prayed with my legs.
It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.
A little learning, indeed, may be a dangerous thing, but the want of learning is a calamity to any people.
Find out just what any people will quietly submit to,  and you have the exact measure of the injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them.
So, you know, kick some ass and take some names! In the non-violent way we remember especially fondly today, of course.

The U.S. Constitution, including Amendments
more quotes at BrainyQuote dot com

No comments:

Post a Comment