Saturday, February 26, 2011

Oscars 2011 Round-Up



Best Picture
It�s been a strong year for Oscar-nominated movies (less strong for movies in general). I�ve seen all ten, and there are at least half of them that I wouldn�t mind seeing get the prize. I loved The Fighter, Black Swan, The King�s Speech, Inception, Toy Story 3 and True Grit. If I had to pick one, I�d give the slight edge to The Fighter, which is odd because it was the one I was least looking forward to seeing initially. Of all the ten nominees, it was the most affecting (followed closely by The King�s Speech). I found The Social Network to be overrated, Winter�s Bone and The Kids Are Alright underwhelming, and 127 Hours quite good, but not as good as my top six.
Should Win: The Fighter
Will Win: The King�s Speech


Best Actor
It�s Colin Firth all the way with this one. I loved Jeff Bridges and James Franco as well, but Firth absolutely disappeared into his role. I�d say this is the surest bet for Oscars 2011.
Should Win: Colin Firth
Will Win: Colin Firth


Best Actress
I find it amazing that Annette Bening has become a co-frontrunner for this. Sure, she was good, but Natalie Portman was jaw-droopingly good in Black Swan. Without her, I�m not sure that movie would have worked.
Should Win: Natalie Portman
Will Win: Natalie Portman


Best Supporting Actor
Another no-brainer for me. Part of the reason why I loved The Fighter so much was Christian Bale�s ridiculously un-Christian Bale performance. Like Firth, he just disappeared into this character and really became the focal point of the movie, despite being a supporting character. Geoffrey Rush is a close second, though. He was a huge highlight in The King�s Speech.
Should Win: Christian Bale
Will Win: Christian Bale


Best Supporting Actress
This is a really tough one for me. I would honestly be happy with any of the nominees (except Jacki Weaver, but that�s only because I haven�t seen the movie). I�ve had a lot of love for Carter, Adams and Leo for some time, and each had amazing years. But then there�s Hailee Steinfeld, who absolutely made True Grit. Aargh� I�m gonna go with Adams on this, just because I think she�s overdue.
Should Win: Amy Adams
Will Win: Melissa Leo


Best Director
Oh god, Darren Aronofsky all the way (though he�ll never get it). I wish Chris Nolan had been nominated. I�d also be happy with the Coen Brothers, but they�ve won too recently. I think there will be a split between picture and director this year.
Should Win: Darren Aronofsky
Will Win: Davind Fincher

No comments:

Post a Comment