Thursday, June 28, 2007

Young Guns: 2007

In addition to sharing with the world my favorite bands and artists, I like to think that I help in breaking new talent as well. Last year, I was among the first to feature bands like Alphabeat and Lucky Soul on a regular basis and watched proudly as they released their debut albums.
So, this year, in what I�m hoping will become a yearly feature, I�m proud to spotlight three of my favorite discoveries of 2007 so far. Not to say that there won�t be more added in the future, but for now these three are the bands/artists I�m looking to break. None have released a full length album yet (well, at least one that's distributed by a label), but all three have projects in the works. Most importantly, all are prime examples of unique, colorful pop that deserve a place on the radio.

Gender



I was overwhelmed when I discovered this duo�s new single, If I Was A Girl. It�s incredibly fresh and edgy� just what the pop charts need. I was happy to find, upon listening to other tracks from their catalogue, that it wasn�t a one-off. Gender focuses on catchy electronic based pop music with plenty of sexual ambiguity and glam attitude. Myspace

Pikko



I was lucky enough to be formally introduced to this singer through her live performance, which was in a word, stunning. Fusing soft 80�s inspired electro pop with her unique vocals and worldview, Pikko is unlike any other singer out there right now. I think she describes it best in explaining her work as a �blend of modern dance, art, electronic music and stage excess.� Myspace

Napoleon



A huge eleven person band (according to their website) from Sweden, Napoleon is on a quest to bring back old Motown Soul and mix it with 70�s and 80�s pop, with fantastic results. The combination of front man Johan Barrett�s husky lead and the gorgeous, shimmering background vocals of the band�s female singers is undeniably great. Kitchen sink pop doesn�t always work, but in this case it�s a revelation. Myspace

So what does it mean to be an tattoowesley Young Gun?

These three acts will get regular coverage on tattoowesley, including reports on new music videos, album/single reviews, and updates on news. Plus, look for all three to have a permanent home on the sidebar very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment