Thursday, July 15, 2010

Twenty-Four Hours a Day, To Describe Troublesome Events!

I love to watch the changes that happen in my neighborhood. Somebody once described it to me as Gayberry, RFD, and that is a darn good description. Except, of course, it's not rural. So we have homeless people, and illegal aliens, crowds and crime and traffic like anyone else. Barney Fife wouldn't make it here, but Andy always would.

Trouble Swoops Down
The Blockbuster down my street was in a basement with stairs leading to the front entrance. Any practitioner of feng shui, the system of Chinese geomancy, can tell you that trouble flows down the steps and doesn't go back up. Most likely this, and not NetFlix, is the reason that this store had so much trouble.

They had an armed robbery, and the manager ran out of the store in a panic, leaving his underage female clerk to face the assailant alone. This was years ago. I am still not over this story. If I ever see that man, I'm kicking him in the damn kneecap.

Well, they closed last year. Mice took over, which means there are five restaurants and one drug store I don't ever patronize that share this same building. Nobody has swept down there for a year. The drains are plugged. And then we had rain.

But Feel The Love!
There is now a nine foot by forty foot area (I measured) with standing water in it four inches deep. It's the middle of the summer. Mosquitoes love me, so I am extremely interested in this development.

I called the HotWinds Mayor's HotWindLine. Unbelievable, to serve me it is open 24 hours a Day!! I was given a case number. It's going to be three weeks--no, that's the Deadline, not the service date, excuse me. She did not take down any of my details as to square footage, just: Mosquito Hazard. I think a 360 square foot area of mosquito reproduction is much larger than an Ordinary Hazard.

So I can gripe. I can check on my case number. I just can't get rid of a hazard. I am in love with this system.

Here is a nocturnal shot of an inspiring sight--to a mosquito. Even if the groundwater mysteriously drains, there will still be a bucket, an ash tray, and a trash bag with Plenty of Habitat.

No comments:

Post a Comment